Monday, October 12, 2009

Unconscious Bias?

I came across this article last year in Phi Delta Kappan, an educational journal that I get monthly. The article discusses the notion that many of us--even the well intentioned--have unconscious biases. Check it out:

http://www.pdkintl.org/kappan/k_v90/k0901mou.htm

It's a worthwhile read, if only to spark self-reflection. After you read it, be sure to let me know if you'd like to discuss it either in class or online. I originally chose not to assign it as an "official" blog response article because of the sensitive nature of the subject matter; I wasn't sure that I should ask you to discuss this in a semi-public forum (online). While we've established quite a safe community in class and I applaud your willingness to discuss ideas candidly, I just wasn't certain that it would be a good idea to give anyone the opportunity to read such personal thoughts on these loaded issues "out of context." Let me know what you think...

8 comments:

  1. Responding to this article would take 5000 words. I the decision is between official blog post, unofficial blog post or classroom discussion, I would vote for classroom discussion.

    Lynn Rosch-Brancato

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are doing a great job with positive class discussions, my vote is with Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting article, I'm sure people have lots to say about it. I think class discussion would be best as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this article. It made me think and feel a little ashamed of myself. I have no problem discussing this through any medium, but a class discussion sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think classroom discussion is the only way to go. Having give and take on this will help draw out different opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Class discussion is cool. I took the sample test re: church and state, but didn't know how to find the other subjects, like race etc. Anyone else take the survey?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am all for class discussion, however am I late on posting my opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think a classroom discussion would be best. I enjoy our classroom discussions and hearing everyone's different opnions.

    ReplyDelete